Year 9 (Block 3)
As part of the Block 3 carousel with Dance, Drama seeks to establish good practice for group work, encourage a love of theatre as well as lay the foundations for those who wish to continue with Drama as a Bedales Assessed Course.
They study Drama for one term, Dance for one term and then look at physical theatre companies and create group pieces in the final term including elements of both disciplines.
The Drama term is divided into different stages, which open up various aspects of the subject including an introduction to Drama, Commedia D’ell Arte and Devising. Pupils also have the opportunity, outside lesson time, to get involved with the technical aspects of the theatre, through wardrobe and stage crew.
Throughout the year we aim to see self-confidence growing through students' greater understanding of group dynamics, of the expressive nature of not only the voice but the whole body and in a growing awareness of the impact we make on each other as individuals and groups. We also aim to maximise the opportunities presented by the Bedales Events programme by linking work whenever appropriate.
Those who are particularly keen on acting have many opportunities to audition for the main school play which usually takes place in the Autumn Term and the Summer Production (Blocks 3 and 4) taking place at the end of the Summer Term.
Years 10 & 11 (Blocks 4 & 5) - BAC Theatre
The Bedales Assessed Course (BAC) in Theatre Arts offers two dynamic years of Drama, taught to GCSE marking standards but beyond the scope of what the GCSEs offer. It enables students of all abilities to explore a wide range of theatrical styles, offering real variety in terms of performance and design potential and providing many opportunities for individual development and group awareness. A broad introductory course in the first year leads into five wide-ranging and contrasting modules: Unit 1 Naturalism; Unit 2 Greek Theatre; Unit 3 Site-specific Shakespeare; Unit 4 Scripted Theatre; Unit 5 Devised Theatre. Units 4 and 5 have public performance outcomes in the Bedales Olivier Theatre and are viewed by a visiting examiner to ensure standards are precisely maintained.
Sixth Form - Drama and Theatre Studies
We are in the second year of reforms for Drama and Theatre Studies and as such are incredibly excited to be reinvigorating our teaching, following new avenues that suit our students best. For this, after much consultation, we have changed exam boards from Edexcel to Eduqas. This allows more textual extracts to be studied and gives us a great opportunity to choose a range of exciting and relevant texts and there is also devised study earlier in the course. We are really pleased to be studying devising earlier as we believe in the importance of devised work so much that even the 2015-16 whole school production was a devised show: created from scratch with students working in collaboration with their teachers. This need for excellence in both disciplines means that we are proud our current BAC specification is a thorough preparation but those who join us from outside will be given the necessary support from teachers who have a huge depth of subject knowledge in these two strands of dramatic education.
Director of Drama and Dance: Phil Tattersall-King
Head of Academic Drama: Hayley Ager
- Bedales 6.1 Performances (May 2017) - photos
- Student Directed Performances (March 2017) - photos
- Bedales Dance Performs (March 2017) - photos
- BAC Devised performances (February/ March 2017) - photos
- A2 Theatre Devised Performances (February 2017) - photos
- Winter Production - Medea (December 2016) - photos
- Sixth Form Production - Jerusalem (October 2016) - photos
- As You Like It - Bedales Summer play (2016) - photos
- AS Theatre Scripted Performances (April 2016) Alba / Mojo / Ubu
- BAC Theatre Performances (February 2016) - photos
- A2 Theatre Devised Performances (February 2016) - photos
- Winter Production - Sound of The Night Feather (December 2015) - photos
- BAC Performances (November 2015) - photos
- How to disappear completely and never be found (November 2015) - photos
- Parents' Day Drama (June 2015) - photos
- Everyone else is a superhero (June 2015) - photos
- BAC Scripted Performances (May 2015) - photos
- AS Theatre Scripted Performances (April 2015) - photos
- BAC Devised Performances (March 2015) - photos
- A2 Theatre Devised Performances (February 2015) - photos
- Winter Production - Caucasian Chalk Circle (December 2014) - photos
- Dubai tour - Physical Theatre (December 2014) - photos
- BAC Scripted Performances (November 2014) - photos
- Sixth Form Production - Fewer Emergencies (October 2014) - review
- Parents' Day - Elegies for Angels, Punks and Raging Queens (June 2014) - photos
- Too Soon Made Glad (May 2014) - review and photos
- AS Theatre Studies Performances (April 2014) - review and photos
- BAC Peformances (March 2014) - review and photos
- Shockheaded Peter (December 2013) - review and photos
- Pornography (October 2013) - review and photos
- The Frogs (June 2013) - programme, review and photos
- 13 (May 2013) - programme, review and photos
- The Relapse (December 2012) - programme and review
- Noises Off (November 2012) - programme and review
- Cabaret (December 2011) - programme and review
- Holes (July 2011) - programme
- Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream (December 2010) -programme and film
- Our Country's Good (December 2009) - programme
- Lord of the Flies (June 2009) - programme