Sport at Bedales Schools - Ethos
In the same way that students at our schools expect access to a high quality experience in areas such as Drama and Music, so they should benefit from a sporting programme that combines broad participation and enjoyment of regular exercise, with a strong programme of competitive team sport.
Key elements of the sporting programme;
- Access to top quality coaching, generally by specialist sports staff and coaches.
- A broad range of sports offered in outstanding facilities.
- A competitive spirit but with a strong emphasis on fair play and respect for the opposition.
- Age-appropriate sporting activities across the 3-18 spectrum.
- Opportunities for the gifted and talented sports players to develop their elite skills.
Sport at Dunhurst
We aim to strike a balance between 'sport for all' and 'sport for excellence'. We endeavour to make sport a positive and enjoyable experience for each and every pupil. Our curriculum is designed to provide a safe environment in which each child can achieve success and increase their self esteem. We believe that team work, communication, cooperation, fair play, and leadership skills are just as important as the physical skills learnt for each sport. We have a sport for all policy at the heart of the sports programme at Dunhurst. At the core of this is the belief that sport will have a positive influence on every pupil. We aim to develop every pupil’s interest in sport from aspiring Olympians to those who just perform as part of a healthy lifestyle.
All of the facilities are shared between Dunhurst and Bedales:
- Full-sized, floodlit Astro-turf (12 tennis courts in the summer term)
- Sports-hall with the floor space to take eight badminton courts
- Modern indoor swimming pool
- Two gymnasiums
- Three hard netball/tennis courts
- Numerous grass pitches. (17 acres of playing fields)
Each year group has two double lessons for PE and Games per week. There are opportunities for extra sport (both for teams and for fun) each day during extra curricular activities.
Pupils at Dunhurst experience:
- An up to date curriculum, encompassing all activities recommended by the National Curriculum plus much more.
- Co-educational classes for the majority of activities, with equal opportunities for boys and girls.
- Excellent facilities.
- Five PE trained staff within Dunhurst, providing continuity and a variety of expertise. The PE department is supported by other talented and interested members of staff and by Pro-staff who are employed to augment activities and lessons.
- Opportunities to extend a wide variety of their talents to the full.
- Good communication and cooperation between staff at all three Bedales schools providing continuity.
Head of Department: Heather Lowe