Bedales comprises three schools situated in Steep, Hampshire (UK): Bedales Pre-prep School, Dunannie (ages 3–8), Bedales Prep, Dunhurst (ages 8–13) and Bedales itself (ages 13–18).
The vision of Bedales' founder, John Badley, was to create a school which would be profoundly different from the public schools of his day. From 1893, when Bedales began, there was a determination to shape the school around what was considered best for the individual child's educational welfare and happiness. Two strands predominated: breadth ("head, hand and heart") and the cultivation of the individual's intellectual and personal qualities ("intelligence, initiative and individuality").
Many of Badley's early innovations are now mainstream: co-educational boarding (at Bedales since 1898); the emphasis put on the Arts, Sciences and voluntary service; the importance of pastoral care; and listening to students' views (the Bedales School Council was established in 1916).
Even so, the contrast between Bedales and other schools remains strong. We believe that our informality engenders a genuine sense of partnership between teacher and student - a shared excitement about ideas and educational discovery. Educational innovation continues today with our Bedales Assessed courses.
The schools’ five aims
- To develop inquisitive thinkers with a love of learning who cherish independent thought.
- To enable students' talents to develop through doing and making.
- To foster individuality and encourage initiative, creativity and the appreciation of the beautiful.
- To enable students, former students, parents and staff to take pride in the community’s distinctiveness and to feel valued and nourished by the community.
- To foster interest beyond the school: engaging with the local community and developing a national and international awareness.
The ways in which we achieve these aims are described in The Bedales Difference.
The success of our children’s education depends on a fruitful partnership between school, children and parents - view the Bedales Schools' Partnership Principles.
Click here to read more about Bedales staff.
Bedales School is a registered charity, number 307332.