The school lets its facilities for residential conferences during the school holidays and for non-residential events at any time of the year. Special rates apply to local groups, as part of Bedales' service to the community. The boarding houses can be used by adults or families as well as younger people. Catering is not available; however, outside contactors are welcome to use the school's catering facilities.
Our 120 acre estate, set in the heart of the Hampshire countryside, comprises:
The Bedales Theatre
The award-winning wood-frame theatre is an atmospheric venue for performances or conferences. It seats around 300, including the gallery; some seating is fixed, some is movable, to allow for different configurations of the stage (thrust, apron, proscenium, in-the-round). Professional-standard lighting rig and sound system; dressing rooms. Space for serving drinks or buffet meals in the foyer. Wheelchair access.
The Orchard Building
The superb new Bedales Orchard Building, completed in September 2005, won a national award from the Royal Institute of British Architects. It is the main teaching classroom block at Bedales School, with 18 rooms on three floors (accessible by lift). Their capacity varies from 12 to 25 . The layout of the rooms is flexible and most classrooms have whiteboards and video projection.
This first-floor room is ideal for small meetings up to 30 people. It has video facilities and a small kitchen area. Wheelchair access via a lift.
This hall is ideal for large meetings, dances and concerts. It has an entertainment licence for 400 and raked retractable seating for that number. Basic stage lighting, a sound system and video projection are available.
Simon Lecture Theatre
This lecture theatre is the ideal setting for conferences presentations. It is equipped for science demonstrations as well as general talks and has raked seating for 200, video projection facilities and microphones. Wheelchair access.
There are four boarding houses on the Bedales and Dunhurst sites, with 408 beds in total. Some ground-floor rooms are suitable for residents who cannot climb stairs; there are no lifts. All beds are singles (not bunks), and there is a desk or table for every resident. All boarding houses have common rooms and domestic kitchen facilities. Bathrooms/showers are shared.
- Steephurst: this is the girls' boarding house. The accommodation varies from seven, four and two people to a room. There are some single rooms available. Steephurst can accommodate up to 135 residents.
- New Boys' Flat: this is the boys' boarding house and can accommodate up to 131 residents, again in rooms ranging from seven to two beds.
- Upper Sixth House: this is a co-ed boarding house. It can accommodate up to 77 residents. Room sizes vary from five beds to singles.
- Dunhurst: this is the junior school boarding house, which can accommodate 60 residents. It is within easy reach of facilities at Bedales senior school.
- Sports hall: a double-sized hall, 37m x 25m, with two basketball/volleyball courts or eight badminton courts. It is equipped with indoor cricket nets and is ideal for a wide range of team games. There are changing and shower rooms. A classroom in the sports hall can seat 20 and has a whiteboard.
- Astroturf pitch with floodlight
- Cricket pitch and pavilion
- Indoor swimming pool: 25 metres, with a maximum depth of 2.5 metres.
- Football pitches: four senior and two junior football pitches.
- Floodlit tennis courts.