The Memorial Library was built in 1921 to commemorate those who died in the First World War.
Designed by Ernest Gimson, it is considered to be one of the finest Arts & Crafts buildings in the country and is Grade 1 listed.
Arranged in a series of bays with furniture by Gimson and the Barnsleys, it is a quiet haven in which to work or relax with a novel. The Library is open every day from 8.30am until 9pm (later for some sixth formers). Access is not restricted in any way and students are trusted to borrow and return books without supervision. A librarian is available during lesson times and evening activities sessions to help with any queries.
Library sessions form part of the induction programmes for the third and sixth forms. We have some 26,000 books in the Library, 3,500 of which are fiction. In addition, the Library subscribes to a number of periodicals and to an on-line database of newspapers. The Library catalogue can be searched from any school computer.
The Memorial Library is also home to the Archive where over 4000 items – including photos, letters, reports, plans, prospectuses and school magazines – are catalogued onto a database.
Students who are interested in any aspect of the School’s history are welcome to use this material in
consultation with the Archivist. We are also happy to help visitors who are researching historical topics.
Library Staff: Ian Douglas, Matilda McMorrow
Archive Staff: Jane Kirby
Follow the Bedales Library Twitter account.
Read a piece published in the Petersfield Post (08.02.17) about the Memorial Library and other buildings.
Watch a short 20 minute film 'The Library', which was filmed in the Memorial Library below, and the 'behind the scenes' film here