Creativity through doing and making
The founding principles of a Bedales education, nurturing ‘Head, Hand, Heart’ and the idea of cultivating individuality through ‘intelligence, initiative and individuality’, provide the inspiration for the Art and Design curriculum.
We endeavour to encourage and nurture an inquisitive and explorative approach to pupils’ own learning, and also to develop a more mature understanding of themselves and the world around them. We aim to achieve this through encouraging exploration and discovery, and by creating an environment where personal growth and individuality are valued.
Art, Pottery, Textiles and Design
- Inquisitive thinking, discursive teaching, exploration and creative play
- Learning through doing and making, exploring materials and techniques
- Investigating artists and designers, movements and styles, past and present
- Design briefs and art projects that are fresh and innovative and reflect contemporary trends and traditional practice in art and design
- Enhancing our community through sculpture, art and design work and openness to new methodologies and creative thinking
- Strong emphasis on drawing skills, contextual studies and good craftsmanship