Bedales uses the Harvard Education School / Asia Society definition of Global Awareness:
Using 21st Century skills to understand and address global issues. C21st includes critical thinking, creative thinking, collaboration and communication
Global issues include:
- Poverty, equality, social justice, human rights
- Globalisation and economic equity
- Global public health
- Sustainable development
- Peace and conflict
We also use their 4 global competencies to help measure global awareness in all our students. Globally competent students should be able to:
1. Investigate the world beyond their immediate environment -
framing significant problems and conducting well-crafted and age-appropriate research.
2. Recognise perspectives, others’ and their own -
articulating and explaining such perspectives thoughtfully and respectfully.
3. Communicate ideas effectively with diverse audiences
bridging geographic, linguistic, ideological, and cultural barriers
4. Take action to improve conditions -
viewing themselves as players in the world and participating reflectively.
Read a summary of the Research Schools International report on Bedales, led by Christina Hinton of the Harvard Graduate School of Education